A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska - 1948
Inauguration of our institution's scheduled long-range expansion program, heralded by the start of construction on the "OUR LADY OF VICTORY" psychiatric wing as the first phase of the work; establishment of another dollar-volume record of business, and the death of our venerable and beloved Sister Mary Livina Thompson, Director of the School of Nursing for the past three decades, transcended in importance all other events of the year under review at Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph's Hospital, Omaha.Continuing the trend all through the current decade, gross earnings of $1,387,860.32 reflected a dollar-volume increase of 11%, or $137,755.20, over 1947, on practically the same patient-volume of service. The increase was due quite largely to a room rate increase, effective September 1, and to a more favorable contract with the Union Pacific Railroad Employes Hospital Association, executed October 15th, and retroactive to June 1, 1943. Gross business for the year was 13.8% higher than in 1947, at $1,526,323.59, but included was an unprecedented increase of 52 percent in the volume of Free Service, which Jumped from $90,858.02 in 1947 to $138,463.27 in 1948.