A History of Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital. Omaha, Nebraska – 1957
Gross business which topped the four-million dollar mark highlighted the year 1957 at Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph's Hospital. Potential earnings combined with free care established a record-breaking total of $4,350,404.03 in services to the 33,596 patients admitted during the year.Major additions were made in vital equipment. Among them were the artificial heart-lung machine, a gift from Mrs. Adolph Sachs; a new fluoroscopic unit, an anesthesia machine for the Obstetrical - Department. Out of doors, an electrical parking gate was installed to provide restricted parking for the members of the Medical Staff.The summer of 1957 brought to completion the $600,000 air- conditioning program, which had been started in the spring of 1956, throughout the entire north section of the general hospital. Also air-conditioned were a group of surgical suites, the recovery room, X-ray department, floor kitchens, labor rooms, patient lounges and the administrative office area.Among the distinguished visitors to the hospital was His Excellency, Manlio Brosio, Italian Ambassador to the United States, who toured Saint Joseph's with the Administrator, Sister M. Crescentia, 0. S. F., R. N. Ambassador Brosio was in Omaha to receive the Creighton University Distinguished Service Award for his work in the field of diplomacy.The year was also marked with sadness as four members of the School of Nursing student body and one senior Creighton Medical student were killed in automobile accidents just prior to graduation. Three of the nurses were members of the 1957 graduating classSaint Joseph's Hospital treated a considerably greater number of patients in the year of 1957 than it did in 1956. The patients availing themselves of the services offered by the hospital during the past year totaled 33,59$ In-patients and Out-patients, as compared with 29,538 in 195$, an increase of 13.7$. Out-patient care began pushing back up, for in 1957 the total Out-patients treated reached 14,304 as compared with 9,962 in 195$ and 20,249 in 1955. The number of psychiatric Out-patients treated in 1957 dropped somewhat from the 195$ total, 3,352 as compared with 4,338 in 1956.