Our Lady of Victory Unit
Creighton Memorial Saint Joseph Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
In 1923 Creighton Memorial St. Joseph Hospital built one of the first of the general hospital neuro-psychiatric units in the middle west. This was a separate unit designed for a maximum of 30 patients. Within two decades the demand for beds in this special division of the general hospital was constantly in excess of the capacity. For this reason, the Sisters of Saint Francis planned in the immediate post-war period for the construction of a new and enlarged structure to provide adequate facilities for the proper care and treatment of the nervous and emotionally ill.